June 29, 2008

Saliba, George
[ASCM V2008] Contemporary Islamic Civilization

Please keep in mind that this review is more than 5 years old.

I'm not sure I've ever been so bored in my life - seriously. Saliba's words are strongly biased in favor of Islam, but in all honesty his lectures mean very little when it comes to your grade. The midterm is based on readings from the coursepack (skim them, if that), discussions are completely based on your TA, and the final is a take-home 10-12 page paper on a topic of your choice pertaining to Islamic Civ. Attendance is mandatory (he has a weirdly photographic memory, plus you have to sign in each day), but especially after the midterm the number of people who actually go to class is a bit laughable. Most alternate signing in their group of friends, or they leave after they've touched the attendance sheet. Bring something to entertain you during lectures, but I'm guessing this will be as easy a Major Cultures class as you will get.

Workload:

20% discussion (participation, assignments if you have them...this totally depends on which TA you get), 30% written in-class midterm (easy), and 50% final paper that is 10-12 pages and due on the last day of class. Not difficult at all.